Final Report from PROINPA on the Falsari Irrigation Project in Bolivia
Co-ordination Meetings to Start Project
Coordination meetings, planning and field trips were carry out to achieve a participatory consensus in the implementation of the sprinkler irrigation system. The meetings were developed with the active participation of the Mayor, Councillors and Technicians of the Municipal Government of Morochata (Public Works and Productive Development), union authorities of the Falsuri community and the PROINPA technician.
Further coordination meetings with union and municipal authorities
A planning meeting was held to develop a work plan with dates and responsibilities for the implementation of the project. Final adjustment of the irrigation system design for a greater coverage of the irrigation area:
• Location of the Water Intake
• Catchment Reservoir, Irrigation Network and infrastructure (Diameters of main and secondary pipes, control valves, circuit breakers and water intakes or Hydrants)
Water catchment area, pipeline, hydrants and road opening
Linear tracing for the opening of the road to the catchment area, equivalent to 300 meters in length. Heavy equipment was required for the very rough terrain.
Loading of the materials
Irrigation materials, equipment and accessories were purchased in stores in the city of Cochabamba and La Paz.
• Material for the Water Intake Work (Aggregates, pipes and installation accessories).
• Material for the Water Reservoirs (Geomembrane, pipes and installation accessories).
• Material for the Irrigation Network and Infrastructure (Pipes of variable diameters, aggregates for the construction of water intakes, metal covers and irrigation accessories.)
Transfer and unloading of the material
The collection and transfer of the material from the city of La Paz and Cochabamba to the community of the Municipality of Morochata, was carried out in trucks (dump trucks) assigned by the Municipal Government (Directorate of Public Works). A producer committee carried out the loading and unloading of all the material.
Laying and installation of the main and secondary water distribution network
Laying and installation of the main water distribution network, with the implementation of HDPE pipe of 90mm and a length of 1600 meters.
Laying and installation of the secondary water distribution network, with the implementation of HDPE pipe of 50mm and a length of 1000 meters.
Installation of water intakes
Construction and implementation of 21 chambers for: Water intakes or hydrants, control and cleaning chambers, pressure rupture chambers and distribution chambers.
Construction of an intake work to capture the main source of water and divert it to the waterproofed reservoir number 1
Excavation of 2 earth reservoirs.
Two reservoirs were excavated being made ready for the water containment geomembrane.
Installation of Earth Reservoirs waterproofed with Geomembrane to store water
Waterproofing of the 2 earth reservoirs in the upper and lower areas of the community. The works carried out were:
• Thermo-fusion of the polyethylene, construction of the water suction hole (boot), placement of the geomembrane and anchoring.
• Construction of the perimeter protection fence of each reservoir (digging holes, placing posts, gate and mesh on the perimeter of the reservoir).
• Construction of complementary works for each reservoir (sandblasting chamber and water distribution chamber).
Onsite Training of Farmers
The first training events were aimed at the construction, with technical criteria, of the water reservoirs for its waterproofing with Geomembrane, taking into account the following:
• Excavation with heavy machinery
• Profiling the reservoir
• Installation of Geomembrane (heat sealing, boot construction and waterproofing)
• Installation and laying of pressure pipes with complementary works (construction of water intake chambers or hydrants, installation of pressure reducers, connection and distribution accessories).
• Operation and maintenance of mobile sprinkler irrigation systems (irrigation frequencies and times, proper position of sprinklers, operating pressures, application flows).
Working sprinkler irrigation system
The working sprinkler system allows for consistent growing conditions.
Similar projects like this are continuing and need support, please consider a donation to help.Donate